The current global economic environment is taking its toll on businesses around the world. The recent economic environment has significantly increased the operational and strategic risks for these companies, requiring them to look for more innovative and creative ways of managing their businesses.
The strategic planning and budgeting process as practiced in many organisations, fails to deliver any real value and often does not produce the impact that is expected.
While most organisations set goals and develop strategic plans, they can be effective only if a company can accurately measure and monitor its progress.
To be effective all such initiatives must be measured and monitored and the entire organization must be aligned to these goals.
Accountability and monitoring in the difficult times have gained renewed importance and activities such as budgeting can no longer be carried out in isolation without keeping in full view the strategic plan of the organization.
Based on recent surveys it has been highlighted that there is a clear divide between budgets and strategy. As a result the budgeting process in most organizations is found to be highly ineffective and hardly delivers any tangible value. Yet organizations insist on spending valuable management time in the budgeting process.
This programme is designed to give business executives a tactical perspective on their businesses, with particular attention given to leading strategically in today’s difficult economic environment to ensure achievement of corporate goals and objectives.
In this programme, we will focus on translating the mission/vision/values into measurable targets, articulating a business strategy as a set of measures and targets and then monitoring the strategy to gauge financial viability and effectiveness. It is well recognized that despite the best developed strategic plans the organisations often fail to achieve the desired results. Having covered Strategic Planning at length we will utilise the innovative concept of ‘the balanced scorecard’ which helps in aligning the strategic plans to the day to day operations in order to bridge the gap between strategy and execution.
The program will provide the participants with the skill set to lead their organization/departments to success.
There is a growing need for executives and directors in business who not only understand their business but are also capable of preparing effective cash management and budgeting plans. As business leaders strive to sustain profitability, they also need to satisfy the demands of all other stakeholders.
You will return to your company better prepared to make the key financial and strategic decisions that drive organizational performance.
This programme is ideal for:
- Senior business executives of medium and large enterprises.
- Finance executives who participate in the strategy process in their firms and/or are responsible for planning controlling and accounting systems.
- Business executives moving from a functional position to a general management position.
- Finance executives who are responsible for budgeting process in the organization.
- CFOs and Senior Vice Presidents of Finance in rapidly growing organizations.
During this programme, the participants will learn to:
- Understand core concepts and frameworks that contribute to strategy development.
- Translate the company’s mission and business strategy into a comprehensive set of performance targets and measures.
- Examine how strategic plans are underlined by realistic cash plans and budgets.
- Deal in a proactive manner where actual cost/revenue differs from planned values.
- Understand relevant financial data and learn how it is collated.
- Differentiate between traditional and contemporary budgeting tools and understand why traditional budgeting fails.
- Analyze, understand, and communicate business strategy
- Develop skills to lead their organizations with strategic insight and financial discipline.
Day 1 Strategic Management & Planning
- What is Strategy?
- What is Strategic Planning?
- The relationship between Strategic Management and Strategic Planning
- Articulating a strategic plan
- Steps in developing a strategic plan
- Strategic Planning approaches
- How budgeting and strategic planning are related?
- Challenges and issues of traditional planning approaches
- How budgeting fits with Strategic Management
- Why Traditional budgeting fails?
- Problem with traditional budgeting approaches
Day 2 Budgeting and Planning
- Integrating Budgeting and Planning
- Types of Budgets
- Zero-based Budgeting
- Developing KPIs
- How to align your business strategy with budgeting practices?
- The Balanced Score Card as a management tool
The Workshop Facilitator
Amer Qureshi, FCA is the Business, Finance and Leadership expert with an excellent track record in senior management across several industries and in many countries. As a highly experienced consultant, Amer specializes in Strategic Planning, Strategic Management, Financial Planning and Leadership and has undertaken projects in Australia, Dubai, Qatar, Malaysia, Kenya and Pakistan. Amer has held C level positions as well as having been the Managing Director of his own consulting firm in Australia.
He is highly regarded for his excellent presentation and communication skills and prides himself on his ability to motivate and inspire people. A sought after speaker and presenter at events and conferences, he is highly respected for his unique presentation style.
He is also a successful published author in the areas of Leadership and Small Business Management, selling over 10,000 copies of his books worldwide.
Amer’s book The A to Z of Healthy Small Businesshas been published in Australia, India and Pakistan and is a highly regarded resource for business owners. Amer is also the author of Making Money in Small Business and Leadership Insights.
Amer has also worked with the leading international firms including KPMG and Deloitte over a seven year period in the early stages of his career in Australia.